Sunday, August 30, 2009

Washington, D.C. Trip
















I'm super behind on blog updating, but last weekend Adam and I took a trip to Washington, D.C. for our first anniversary! We had very steamy weather, and definitely odd weather (rainy, sunny, etc.) but a wonderful time. On Thursday, we flew in directly from Grand Rapids (awesome! one hour 10 minute flight!) and enjoyed a little sightseeing and nice weather - had a good dinner and then relaxed in the hotel room, knowing our next few days would be packed! On Friday, we woke up to hot, humid weather (93 degrees and 95% humidity!) and tried to get going as early as possible. Just about the time we were ready to walk out the door, we realized that the hotel room alarm clock was wrong, and we were over an hour earlier than we wanted! This ended up being great, though, because our early start let us see and do more throughout the day. We spent the morning on The Mall, seeing the monuments, and then arrived at The White House for our 12:00 tour!! This was definitely the highlight of the trip, as we were on a 6 mo. waiting list for a tour!! Just being there, in such close proximity to the President, the history, the hub of the country...wow. It was amazing and we were just in awe the whole time. No pictures were allowed inside, but as soon as we were off the front steps, we could take photos. We spent the rest of the weekend seeing the Smithsonians, National Archives, Ford's Theater (so cool!!) and the home across the street where President Lincoln died, DuPont Circle for a lovely anniversary dinner, more monuments, capitol hill, Arlington Nat'l. Cemetery, Georgetown (my fave) and so much more...all in all, a fantastic trip. I found myself having to stop and rest quite often, as walking around 7 months pregnant in high heat and humidity was NOT as easy as I thought it would be...neither was the extra weight on my feet! I tried to be a trooper, though, and I think I did a pretty good job. :) Here are a few pictures - we had both our iPhones plus our camera, so needless to say...there were hundreds of pictures. Putting together a photo album on Snapfish, like I do for all our trips, is something I'm pretty much avoiding at this point, because there are just too many photos to choose from! :)

No comments: