Sunday, April 26, 2009

Best Muffins EVER!

I had to share this recipe - it's probably not real health-conscious, but I can't imagine it's THAT bad for you...oh my, they were fantastic! So fantastic that Adam and I keep saying it to each other...and so fantastic that they generated a call from my mom this morning (I brought her some last night) saying they were WAY better than Arnie's carrot cake muffins! You MUST try! I can see bringing them to a weekend away somewhere or just keeping them in your freezer...once you have all the ingredients, I'd suggest making a double batch. One batch makes about 18, and it does require some shopping.

Carrot Cake Muffins (aka, Morning Glory Muffins)
2 c. flour
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. grated carrots (grate the real thing - don't buy them pre-shredded)
1/2 c. raisins**
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 c. shredded coconut
1/2 c. drained crushed pineapple (8 oz. can)
3 eggs
1 c. canola oil***
2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Stir in carrots, raisins/cranberries, flour, nuts, coconut, and pineapple to the dry mixture, one ingredient at at time.

In a separate bowl, beat or whisk eggs, oil, and vanilla. Pour into flour mixture and stir until batter is JUST mixed. DO NOT overstir.

Spoon into muffin tins lined with papers - fill to the top (won't rise much.)Bake 20 minutes at 350.

*add diced apples for a variation
**Sub dried cranberries for the raisins - I did this and they were soooo good!
***you could always do the applesauce trick for the oil to make it healthier??

No comments: