Monday, September 22, 2008

Frank Lloyd Wright

Tonight I enjoyed an evening with the ladies of my book club. We read the book Loving Frank, which was a fictional story of the prairie period of Frank Lloyd Wright and his mistress. It was a great read, and I found it to be quite interesting. Most of the story was factual, which was even more amazing. We were able to go to the Meyer May house in downtown Grand Rapids, where we received a private tour of what is deemed the most perfectly restored Wright-designed home in America. The details were breathtaking...what an experience, and what an innovative gentleman he was (aside from the mistres bit.) :) The family I babysat for was very into praire style, and also Frank Lloyd Wright himself. Their house resembles the Meyer May house so much....very impressive. I found my taste in decor changing dramatically by the time I left the house. Exquisite - I could go on and on about the historical facts I now know.

After the tour, we went to a restaurant which had beautiful moldings and decor in the prairie style of Wright - great food, too! We had good conversation and laughed a lot...it was so nice to be back with the group I'd missed all summer.

Check out the website for the Meyer May house that we visited:
http://www.steelcase.com/na/meyer_may_house_ourcompany.aspx?f=18708

This site is good, too
http://www.dgunning.org/architecture/Michigan/Meyer%20May/

No comments: