Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sugar Cookies with Kelsey and Cameron

I've been totally consumed with wedding details for the last 2 days, at least. I am getting emails and calls from everyone I need to - everyone is so wonderful - however, it's all coming at once and I am SO glad I am not working full time this summer. I can't believe how busy I am with tutoring and wedding/house stuff!! I've been working with our invitation designer, Anne, to finalize all the "paper" things for the wedding - programs, place cards, table #'s and cards for the tables, etc. She is doing a fantastic job with everything, and being so patient with me as I make all my little changes. :) I'm so pleased with how everything looks so far, and I can't wait to see it in person!!

This Friday, we go to the museum and meet with just about everyone - including finalizing our flowers. I am dying to go there and see everything in person again (without snow on the ground this time!) and see the place set up for an outdoor wedding. We are looking at where everything will go (for example, our candy buffet, place cards, photo booth, tables, head table, etc.) and I am hoping all my/our questions can be answered! Next week we meet with several other vendors, and I will have my second dress fitting soon - it's all happening quickly!!

Today was especially productive - we spent several hours cleaning the garage - sweeping, scrubbing the floor, organizing, pitching junk, setting up the recycling area, etc. We also washed my car, hung things on the walls inside, cleaned, I tutored and went grocery shopping, gardened, made dinner....Adam did errands and job stuff, and a lot more outside than I did - and then Kelsey and Cameron from next door came over and we made cookies!! We also played with Kiki - she is learning several new tricks (other than "shake") including jumping thru a hoop and "beg" or "attack." Kelsey has a plan to teach her to lay down - however I've been trying for months and she just won't do it. My uncle taught his cat to retrieve, so I'm hoping that's next for my Kikers.

Two days prior, I gave Kelsey my "cookie" cookbooks and had her pick what she wanted to make - she ended up choosing "the cookies you get at Meijer that are almost not cooked sugar cookies with the bright frosting." Yes - you know what those are...my students always have them for b-day treats, and they are awesome. I am not sure what they are called, but I thought we could try to recreate them....and we DID! We made sugar cut-outs and I added a little lemon extract - we rolled them a little thicker than the recipe called for, and baked them until they were JUST done - not brown on the bottoms yet. I was going to make a vanilla buttercream - however, their bedtime was drawing near, so I opted for the store-bought vanilla can frosting. Who doesn't like that? We decorated them with various sprinkes....and they were AWESOME! I really think they taste like the store-bought goodness. :) Here's the recipe:

Ethel's Sugar Cookies (for Cut-outs)
3/4 c. butter-flavored shortening
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. lemon extract/flavoring (vanilla is ok too)
- Mix thoroughly

Stir in:
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Wrap dough in waxed paper - chill dough at least 1 hour after mixing all together.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll dough to 1/4" thick (or 1/8" for crispier cookies). Cut with cookie cutter or drinking glass. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 6-8 minutes until just barely done - bottom/edge should barely brown.
*makes 2 dozen thicker cookies

No comments: